Thursday 17 December 2015

Packing for a Ski Trip

Having not skied since I was a teenager, the prospect of a trip to an Alpine haven between Xmas and New Year is exciting me greatly.

A family excursion to Switzerland and a whole week in the snow- sheer festive perfection. I'm all for the apres ski but my shapes on the slopes are relatively decent (surprisingly!) so I plan on packing practically too to maximise slope time!

This packing guide for a week in the snow will hopefully help from the top of the mountain to the bar at the bottom...



Good thermals are an absolute must- sorry to be a granny but they are one thing you cannot scrimp on when skiing. These snuggly warmers from M&S will help to keep you cosy on the slopes and go easily under any salopettes. For the apres ski bunnies, a fur Cossack is essential. Topshop have all colours to suit- I have three shades of this hat, and I'll be packing the baby pink for my trip as it'll team perfectly with my black skiwear





Sunglasses are a must for on the slopes, and for the coffee and strudel breaks. Maui Jim have a cool range of practical yet stylish options, and this pair see me through all year round. Plastic frames are best so that they don't stick to your face (as metal can...). I'll also be packing my most festive themed PJ's including these beauties from Boden, which will be perfect for snuggling up with a book in the evening. 


A decent pair of snow boots is a brilliant investment. Ski resorts are often so snowy that no other footwear will provide the warmth and grip you need. These ducky all weather boots from Crocs are stylish yet practical with gorgeously soft fur lining and a beautiful outer. The lace up also makes them look super luxe perfect for piste to pub...


Whilst I am 100% not a supporter of a full face of make up for skiing, there are a few essential beauty bits which I will be packing to ensure that my skin stays protected. Lip sun protect and a mini SPF 50 will ensure that I don't get any sun damage on the slopes. Because of the cold it is SO easy to forget SPF, but it is an absolute beauty essential as the rays are strong and the snow reflective. I'll also be taking along my Burt's Bees Res-Q ointment is perfect for my pocket to help with any dry patches caused by the cold, or any sores from ski boots!

My biggest tip is to wear as much as you can on the plane. Those who frequent in snowy resorts will know that you need only your ski jacket and snow boots- any other out wear will be insufficient and will be ruined within hours wasting you both money and suitcase space. Skiwear is heavy so wear your jacket and snow boots on the plane and pack a small pair of pumps for the hotel in your case, this will probably save you at least 2kg and lots of room in your case too! Following a tip from a lovely colleague, I'm also keeping my eye out for any retro ski suits or onesies in nearby charity shops- the 80's are back and where better to flaunt it than the slopes. You can also pick up jackets and salopettes really reasonably from eBay and charity shops as well as TK Maxx, so keep your eyes peeled.

I hope this helps anyone going skiing for the first time this year! Would love to hear if anyone is going away, and keep your eyes peeled for some suitably snowy Instagram shots coming soon!

Lauren

No comments

Post a Comment

© Pretty, Posh, Oh My Gosh! | Life and Style of a UK Blogging DuoMaira Gall