Tuesday 16 August 2016

The George at Stamford

the george stamford room key
This is a bit of a throwback - to put it mildly - as this visit was in March 2015. Any long time followers will know that was a week or two before I lost my dream job... hence I didn't post it at all. That was such a bloody awful time I kinda forgot the good stuff I got up to when I temporarily moved back home; I treated my Mum to a weekend at The George at Stamford for Mother's Day.

view of stamford from the george hotel
Stamford is a special place for us. My Mum and I have wandered around the Christmas markets a few times and we've gone as a family for the day too (the farmer's market is particularly good). The George is a local institution with a rich history and quintessentially British atmosphere. It's the best place to go for a special meal, watch a rugby game and - if you're splashing out a little - take someone special for a weekend.

stamford from the riverthe george hotel bathroomthe george hotel breakfast roomthe george hotel breakfast room
If I could sum up The George in one word, it'd be quirky. The bathroom has a giant mural, the floors are uneven and creaky, the decor is dark wood and there are wonderful nooks and whimsies everywhere you turn. We took a walk around the gardens, with a plentiful potager full of herbs right outside the kitchen. The newest buds and leaves of Spring were just about blossoming into view...

the george hotel stamford bicyclethe george hotel stamford courtyardthe george hotel springthe george hotel stamfordheather stamford george hotel night porter button the george hotel stamford
We went for a twin room which had a lovely view of the courtyard and had a peaceful night's sleep (after a good few cocktails) and woke up to a bountiful breakfast of croissants, fresh fruit and poached eggs and bacon on toast, which was delicious.

the george hotel stamford breakfast menuthe george hotel stamford breakfastthe george hotel stamfordthe george hotel stamford dining roomthe george hotel stamford window nookmy beautiful mum
I'm sorry this post was just a long time coming! If you're off to that part of the world, I really truly would recommend The George for a stay - there's nowhere quite like it.

Felicity

No comments

Post a Comment

© Pretty, Posh, Oh My Gosh! | Life and Style of a UK Blogging DuoMaira Gall