Thursday 30 July 2015

The Sounds of Summer

We were recently sent some awesome headphones and earphones to try out, and we thought we'd do something a little personal to with our sounds of Summer, the songs that remind us of happy sunny times and the people we adore...

Felicity
Songs that remind me of…
My family - Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Deep Blue Something
Songs that remind me of my family tend to be stuff you crack out to get people on the dance floor. I chose Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Deep Blue Something as it’s feel good, sing-along and reminds me of being little and singing random lines with my brother in the car (and by that I mean the bits we understood)! Runners up - anything by Madness or the Beautiful South.

My best friend - Staying Alive by The Beegees
Lauren sent me this song before an interview to boost my confidence, along with a message along the lines of ‘Go in there and own it!’ It really worked, and there isn’t much like an embarrassingly groovy song (sorry, but there really is no other word for that tune) to get you picking up your feet and putting your best foot forwards. Now it’s a shared joke and we crank it up if it comes on the radio, or sing the first few lines to each other in stupid falsetto voices after a particularly good day!

My boyfriend - Moon River by Dean Martin
My other half loves a golden oldie song, and the old romantic stuff tends to remind me of him. He loves the rat pack, and so whenever I hear this I think of him and all the stuff we have planned for the future. Mushy but true! Runners up - Watch the Sun Come Up by Example (because it was out when we met at Uni) and Sweet Disposition by Temper Trap (on the soundtrack of almost every long car journey we take).

University - Bed Rock by Young Money
Yep, you read it right! I made a spoof video of this song with my Uni housemates (the link of this will definitely not be shared here! Haha) and with a breakdancer in the house, we were always out at various clubs and the Union busting out some moves. This was always a song we’d put our arms round each other and half shout along to, and when it comes on through shuffle I’m transported back to my second year house in Loughborough. Golden days!

Going on holiday - Good Life by One Republic
Also brought on by aforementioned Uni housemates, this is a real travel song and just makes me smile, bringing back lots of memories from different years at Uni and afterwards, too. It was my ringtone for ages, and it’s not a song I get sick of, which says something! Runner up - Everybody’s Free (To Wear Sunscreen) by Baz Luhrman, because I like to take some time each holiday to think about how grateful I am for all my blessings. A bit deep there…!

I reviewed... the Senheisser Urbanite Wireless headphones
They have a wide sound stage which is neither bass or treble heavy - in simple terms, the sound is really balanced no matter what you listen to. They are comfortable to wear on the go (check out the foaminess!) although the weight of them means they aren’t suitable for use lying down - great for the train though!
Connectivity, even without NFC is wonderful. If you are in range of your phone just turn on and go (iPhone). The phone starts sending music and the touch capability on the side of the headphones makes it so easy to just walk around (or in my case, dance around) with them on.


A remote is included but not needed to control tracks - two taps to skip forward tracks, three to reverse. The Bluetooth aerial is little directional when used outside, but otherwise all good. Overall, an enjoyable listening experience and if a call comes through, you're good for that too!

Lauren
Songs that remind me of…
My family - Nine Million Bicycles by Katie Melua
I'm sure everyone else has millions on songs that remind them of their family. One which reminds me of ALL of my home family is Nine Million Bicycles by Katie Melua because once my Dad had the CD for Xmas, it soon became our staple Sunday morning breakfast song. We were always really good at sitting down for dinner together, but Sunday morning breakfasts in the conservatory with Katie Melua really defines my early teens! Runners up...For Mum- ANYTHING Paul Weller, Dad- Earth, Wind and Fire- September and my siblings- anything Jack Johnson!

My best friend - Candy by Paolo Nutini
Felicity is a huge Paolo fan, and when we drove to the Eden Project last month to see him for the second time together, we had this cranked up the whole way. Paolo is guaranteed feel good, and if I'm ever sad or feeling like a need a bestie hug, playing Candy does the trick just fine! We did listen to his album through a few times, but this is the one I really know the words to!

My boyfriend - I See Fire by Ed Sheeran
Chris is a huge music fan, and loves his speakers and audio equipment (perhaps even more than he loves me...) so there are lots of songs that I associate with him. I See Fire takes the crown because we also both love The Hobbit, and when this song was played as the credits rolled, we both sat and listened to the end, admiring it hugely, the song was quickly bought, and played over and over in our house! Runners up- Anything Boyce Avenue, we've seen them twice and they are our favourite band ever and Halo by Beyonce (because he can play it pretty well on the piano).

University - Fast Car by Boyce Avenue
As mentioned above, this really is the band that I turn to for great, great covers. A YouTube band who have gained international fame for their adorable, down-to-earth characters and beautiful sound, I'm always excited when they post a new video. Fast Car was one of their first videos which I had on repeat play and kept me going through many-a late night in the library!

Going on holiday - Mr Blue Sky by ELO
I have so many songs that make me think of holidays with my family, however this one is one which we usually blast out driving through the French or Portuguese hills with everyone singing along. It is as cheesy as it sounds, and when my boyfriend started coming on family hols he definitely cringed, but I love it! Runners up include Waves by Mr Probz, Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen and anything Sade.

I reviewed... the Senheisser Momentum Earphones
First of all, I love the pouch these comes in - my earphones always get lost, knotted and battered about, so this is really handy to find them quickly in my handbag and store them correctly. The sound quality is great and they come with different sized earpieces so they fit perfectly.
The clean sleek design is a real plus point, and they don't do that annoying blaring thing if you turn the volume up! A real plus for not annoying fellow commuters or listening to something on the go. 


You can find the great range on the Sennheiser website and from all blooming brilliant electrical places ;) We love ours, they're funking our lives up.
Felicity & Lauren

1 comment

  1. This is so cute. The headphones look great btw. I love Mr Blue Sky.
    Tegan xx - Permanent Procrastination

    ReplyDelete

© Pretty, Posh, Oh My Gosh! | Life and Style of a UK Blogging DuoMaira Gall